News archive: list of news items from all committees, VALE news, spotlight, and individual member news by posting date.
- The Keynote Address for the VALE 2008 Users' Conference was given by Christopher J. Mackie of the Mellon Foundation. The topic was The Library in the Academic Enterprise: Toward a Sustainable Software Ecosystem.
Online Information Literacy Tutorial: The First Step towards incorporating Library Instruction into University's Online Courses Presenter: Sharon Yang, Systems Librarian, Rider University
- Dear VALE members: I understand that several of you still cannot access the VALE website at http://www.valenj.org. We had thought this problem was cleared up, but obviously not…so we’ll have to begin again to get a handle on it. I am copying below the instructions Dave Hoover sent to the list on December 12 with the request that each institution test its access.
- Thanks to all who organized, presented, attended and otherwise contributed to a very exciting day yesterday! Postings are appearing on the conference blog, but we would still like you to complete the online evaluation form to help us in planning for next year. You'll find it just under the flashlight at www.valenj.org
Presenters: Valerie Gouse, Librarian firstname.lastname@example.org Cumberland County College, Vineland, NJ Mary Thorstensen, Librarian email@example.comCumberland County College, Vineland, NJ The College Librarians have begun to collaborate with Librarians from four high schools in Cumberland County to prepare students with the necessary skills in information literacy. The high school librarians were invited to an orientation followed by a reception and presented with resource packets. The cost of this project totaled $1,500.
- (This will be a rather long post, due to the nature of the discussion and presentation)
Presenters: Ann Hoang (NJIT), Ann Montanaro (Rutgers), and Kurt Wagner (William Paterson). Present on panel but not presenting: Edward Corrado (TCNJ)
- For those committee members who were not present at yesterday’s Users’ Conference, I want to reiterate the acknowledgement and thanks I extended to you all for such a great job this past year. I strongly encouraged the audience to visit the Website and to rely on it for information about VALE, our activities and issues of interest. Please read the attached letter from State Librarian Norma Blake thanking VALE members for our efforts advocating for NJKI.
- Presenter: Paula Williams; Bergen Community College email: firstname.lastname@example.org Presentation available at: http://www.bergen.edu/faculty/pwilliams/VALE08.mht Since the presentation is available online I will just give a very brief overview here. Paula gave a very informative presentation on why and how Bergen Community College uses interactive features on their library web page.
- My thanks to Ann Montanaro acting as the Recorder at yesterday’s Brainstorming the Next Generation Academic Library System breakout session. Please find the attached handout (Session Handout) given out before the meeting as well as the transcript of the notes (Transcript of Meeting Notes) from easel pad exercise.
- Please use this space to offer any general comments/feedback about the conference. You do not need a login and password to post comments. Simply write your post and it will be held, awaiting approval by one of our moderators.