Update on the New Jersey Knowledge Initiative: The New Jersey State Library has been closely following the progress of the FY09 State budget, as we are sure many of you have been as well. We were hopeful that a budget would be passed and signed by the Governor in mid-June.
News archive: list of news items from all committees, VALE news, spotlight, and individual member news by posting date.
- Summer's here, and the time is right to begin planning the 2009 VALE Users' /ACRL-NJ/NJLA-CUS Conference. This year will be the 10th anniversary of the conference. We want to mark the occasion in festive fashion, and you are invited to be part of that, along with all the other things that have made the conference a successful and rewarding experience for participants. In keeping with past practice, we will be holding a one-time in-person planning meeting, with subsequent general arrangements to be handled by email and telephone.
- To the New Jersey library community: NOTE: You may have seen the email sent on Friday, May 2 to VALE libraries regarding NJKI. This email was based upon a meeting that Norma Blake and I had with Judy Cohn, Marianne Gaunt and Anne Ciliberti the prior day.
- Dear Colleagues: Effective July 1, 2008, academic libraries will no longer receive the subsidized databases from the New Jersey Knowledge Initiative (NJKI) funded by the New Jersey State Library (NJSL). Unfortunately, this also includes access to EBSCO's Academic Search Premier, which has been funded until now by the NJSL. We understand the magnitude and impact this news has during what is already a fiscally difficult time.
Posted by Anne Ciliberti at the request of Rob Karen, WALDO:
You and your staff are invited to attend a free WALDO/LibLime webinar featuring the Koha Integrated Library Software. As you heard at the Next Generation Academic Library System Symposium sponsored by IMLS, VALEnj and The College of New Jersey, WALDO is partnering with LibLime for its new ILS and is excited about the progress that has already been made.
The webinars are scheduled for:
Video streaming, podcasts and PowerPoint presentations from the Next Generation Library System Symposium
Video streaming, audio podcasts and PowerPoint presentations from the VALE OLS Symposium are now available on the VALE website at: http://www.valenj.org/newvale/ols/symposium2008/program-schedule.shtml
And also flicker photos are also available for viewing.
- Have some great instructional materials that you would like to share with your VALE colleagues? Submit them to the VOILA database. VALE’s Shared Information Literacy (SIL) Committee is seeking contributions to the Virtual Online Information Literacy Archive database.
- A selection of audio recordings, and in some cases, the related PowerPoint presentations from last month's VALE OLS meeting are now available on the VALE website at: http://www.valenj.org/newvale/ols/symposium2008/program-schedule.shtml
- Congratulations to this year's winners of the NJLA College and University Section Technology Innovation Award: * Choong Hoong Liew, Web Designer; and Mei Ling Lo, Math/Computer Science Librarian at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey for "The Rutgers Library Toolbar" project using the LibX Toolbar plug-in.